Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Refinish a Filing Cabinet

I bought a great Hon filing cabinet in an auction from Public Surplus for only 20.00.  Thanks to the wonderful bloggers How About Orange and Design Sponge I transformed my 20 dollar filing cabinet from a blah brown to a beautiful piece that I get compliments on all the time.  I sanded, primed and painted it like How About Orange recommended and then I wallpapered the front of the drawers using Mod Podge the same way Design Sponge did.  The result is, I think, really wonderful, especially for my first try at something like this.




You can see the paint job doesn't look perfect on the side, it is the result of using a satin finish and the fact that I am not very good at applying an even coat of spray paint.  Thankfully, it is really only noticeable with a bright light hitting it like the flash.  I used Rustoleum's Green Apple satin finish that I purchased at Home Depot and the wall paper is Allen Roth Spanish Tile pattern from Lowe's.  The pictures don't do the wallpaper justice.  It is textured and has a greyish silver sheen to it which I completely fell in love with the moment I saw it.  I used some left over brown paint to paint the handles and label holders since their original silver color didn't stand out against the wallpaper.  All together, the project cost me about 70 dollars for all the supplies and I still have plenty of Mod Podge and wallpaper to use on something else.

$20.00 for the filing cabinet
$16.00 for the paint
$22.00 for the wallpaper
$10.00 for the Mod Podge

I look forward to my next creative project.  If anyone has any ideas what I should do with the rest of the wallpaper, I am all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment