Monday, October 24, 2011

Sprained ankle.....and Cake!!!!!

My Monkey and I are enrolled in a Mommy and Me gymnastics class at the local college.  On Saturday, I was walking across the tumble mat when I stepped wrong and twisted my ankle.  It hurt a bit but by the end of class I couldn't feel it anymore so I forgot about it.  I only remembered when, a few hours later, I squatted down to help my Monster get dressed and I had a sharp throbbing pain shoot through my ankle after which my ankle ballooned up and I couldn't walk on it.  Joy of joys!  A lovely sprain. 
Of course, said sprain would happen and start hurting about 5 minutes before I had all of my family come over to celebrate my Dad's birthday.  At least everyone enjoyed themselves, even if I was confined to a chair.  My husband smoked some ribs for about 8 hours, these are the leftovers after 6 adults and 2 kids had their fill!
I made a cake for my Dad.  His request was chocolate.  I came up with this cake a few years ago but I still can't think of a name for it, my brother says I should just call it Awesome.  If anyone has any better suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Ingredients:

1 box chocolate cake mix (I have done it with chocolate cake from scratch but for simplicity sake, just buy the mix)
1 jar caramel topping
1 8oz cream cheese
1 8 oz container whipped topping, thawed
1 cup powdered sugar
8 snack size Butterfinger candy bars



Bake your cake according to the directions.  As soon as it comes out of the oven, take the handle of a wooden spoon and poke holes all over the cake.  Also take your cream cheese out and set it on the counter to soften.



Open your jar of caramel topping and pour it all over the cake, making sure it gets in all the holes as well.  It is important to do this as soon as it comes out of the oven while the cake is still hot so the caramel will melt into the cake.

Now you need to let the cake cool for a bit.  After the cake has cooled for 20-30 minutes and your cream cheese has softened, it is time to make the frosting.
Put your cream cheese in a bowl along with the cup of powdered sugar.

Beat on medium speed until the cream cheese is sufficiently whipped.
Once it is completely mixed together and smooth, add your whipped topping.
This is another important step.  You want to fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese.  Don't use the mixer for this and don't over stir. You want to end up with a texture and consistency like this.
Now you can take your frosting and put it on your cake.


You either have the choice of spreading it out evenly, or you can surreptitiously pile extra frosting in one corner and make sure you get that piece!  Since this cake was my Dad's birthday cake, I spread it evenly.
Now, you take your Butterfinger's...





start chopping them up....




until you have them all coarsely chopped.

Sprinkle them on top of your cake and Voila!!!


Your super tasty awesome cake is ready!  Make sure you store this cake in the refrigerator since the frosting is made with cream cheese and whipped topping.  I have never calculated what a calorie bomb this cake is and honestly, I don't want to know!  I only make it on my birthday or other special occasions so why not live a little, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment