Sunday, October 4, 2015

Happy Fall Ya'll!!!

Yes, I was born and raised in Texas, no, I do not ever talk like that.
I used it as my title because temps have dropped and we finally have fall weather here so I decorated today, including hanging up this towel my mother made for me.

The last time I decorated for fall was in 2012.  We started our remodel in 2013 and I haven't decorated since then.  One thing we did in our remodel was to paint all the oak trim and mantle a glossy white.
Here is my newly painted mantle, decorated for fall.

I am getting a new dining set so I don't have my table decorated yet because I don't have my table!

After decorating, it was time to make some soup.

This is a recipe I came up with a few years ago and it is quite hearty.

First, you need to carmelize an onion or two.  I had small onions so I used two.

Heat up a skillet on medium low and add butter and oil.


While that is melting, take your onion/s and coarsely chop them.


When your oil/butter mixture starts foaming like this


Add your onions.


If you see immediate browning like this


Your heat is too high.

Turn it down and stir/toss the onions until they are separated and each piece is fully coated in the mixture.


Keep the onions at this temp, stirring occasionally.  Much like brisket, the key to carmelized onions is low and slow.

While they are cooking, go ahead and get out some russet potatoes and peel them.


Cut them up into small chunks and put them in a large stock pot.



Let's go check on those onions shall we?



It's been about 20 minutes and they have a nice color going, but the best way to check carmelized onions is by tasting them.

Feel free to grab a small piece and put it aside to cool for a minute before tasting.


Hmm, not bad, but I think they need a little more time.  Six minutes later...


Ahhh, perfect!!!  They are ready to use!  You weren't thinking of scooping them out were you?  No, of course not, because you KNOW you should always deglaze the pan and get all the tasty browned bits right?

Since we are using these onions in a soup which will need thickening, we are going to first make a roux.  Add a bit of flour to your onions...


Stir and toss until your onions and the pan are coated in a thick floury paste.


NOW we are going to deglaze the pan.  I used about a half cup of beef broth here.



Now we are going to take this tasty mixture from heaven and add it to our waiting potatoes.  Add chicken broth...


And your seasonings and cook over medium heat until your potatoes are soft.

Remove about half of your potatoes and mash them.


Return them to the pan.  Add half and half and stir over low heat until heated through.

Dish out and enjoy!!



French Potato Soup

1 large sweet onion
1 Tb butter
1 Tb vegetable oil
2 Tb flour
1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup beef broth
4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1.5 tsp paprika
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1 cup half & half

Carmelize onion.  Add flour to onions and toss until well coated.  Use beef broth to deglaze pan.  Add onions to large stockpot with cubed potatoes.  Add chicken broth and spices and cook over medium heat until potatoes are done.  Remove half of potatoes and mash them.  Return to pot and stir in half and half.
Serve alone or with cheddar cheese, sour cream and French fried onions as garnish.



Doesn't that look delicious?



I should note that I never actually measure my ingredients when cooking, all measurements given are an approximate.  

Experiment!!  Enjoy cooking!!  Cook with your nose!!  Does it smell like something you want to eat?  If it doesn't, add other things or take away things you don't like!  Make it YOUR recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment